Friday, April 1, 2011

Reporting Topic

Sometimes you just can't help but wonder what people are thinking when they institute certain policies. My current pet peeve is with Telemundo's Spanish-only subtitle policy. The idea behind it makes sense - Telemundo is a Spanish television station, so therefore the majority of its viewers are also Spanish and understand the Spanish language. What about the ones that aren't though? Telemundo might be a Mexican station, but don't they want to reach other viewers? Would it be so crazy that English-only speakers would want to watch Spanish television? There is a way to incorporate two different subtitle sets at the same time and they can be switched with your remote - apparently, it just seems to elude the minds of the people at Telemundo. I really don't see why Telemundo wouldn't want to make more money by reaching a wider audience; it really doesn't make any sense.
As someone who only speaks English, this really bothers me. I live in a very largely Hispanic neighborhood, and when I go into shops, either Telemundo or Univision is on, so I tend to just watch what’s on that television. A pretty recent example is how I wait in the chiropractor’s office for a good amount of time for my appointment, and the only TV that’s on is playing Telemundo with subtitles – Spanish subtitles. I watch it because there’s nothing else to do, but I really don’t understand anything that’s going on, and maybe I would watch it at home as well if I could. From a marketing perspective, it’s a pretty selfish and dumb thing to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment